Saturday, November 30, 2013

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette Review and Swatches

I think this palette was released about six months ago, and there have been plenty of widely spread thoughts on it.


Urban Decay claims, "Naked Basics is more than the long-awaited, multipurpose MATTE companion to Naked. It's the palette EVERY women needs in her beauty arsenal. With six stripped-down, Nakedly neutral shadows, it has everything you need for the perfect neutral matte eye    including four totally new and exclusive shades."


When the original Naked (review here) and Naked 2 (review here) palettes were released before this one, many makeup wearers complained about the lack of matte colors, the original containing only two and the second including three. It didn't bug me, but I see how it could've annoyed others.

But the thing I like the most about this palette if the fact that it goes perfectly with either of the first two palettes (or both if you're crazy like me), or this could be you're only NAKED purchase and it would work just fine for you. Therefore, I 100% agree when Urban Decay says that every women could use this. It really depends on your style and sanity level.

The packaging is awesome! Not as functional as the original Naked Palette, but a lot better then the Naked 2. It's small and durable, being made of rubberized plastic, similar to that of NARS (but without the dirt!) I love the relatively large mirror as well.

Before I get into individual reviews, all six eyeshadows have AMAZING quality. All of them are pigmented, smooth, and not powdery at all! Urban Decay did not disappoint in the formulation department.

The first three are called Venus, Foxy, and W.O.S (A.K.A Walk of Shame).


Venus is a neutral creamy highlighting shade. This is the only satin finish eyeshadow in this palette, and I'm assuming its intended use was as an inner corner highlight... at least that's what I use it for. It is similar to Virgin only with a less pearly finish and less pink to it.

Foxy was included in the Naked 2 palette. It is a matte creamy beige color, that could be an all over lid color for those with yellow tones in their skin. I prefer using it as a base for other eyeshadows so they blend easier.

W.O.S is basically the pink toned version of Foxy. I use this all over the lid if I want a completely matte eye, which I sometimes do enjoy.

(In order from L to R: Venus, Foxy, and W.O.S)

The last three shades are Naked 2, Faint, and Crave.


Naked 2 is a very cool light to medium brown. I use this for a very natural crease color, that adds a little bit of depth without being overly dramatic. It is cooler than Naked

Faint is a rich medium to dark brown. I prefer to take an angled brow brush and line my eyes with this for definition, but if I wanted to be dramatic, I could easily put this in the crease. It is darker than Buck.

Crave is a super rich black with brown undertones. I only use this for eyeliner if I want even more definition than just brown. It is similar to Blackout, only Blackout has grey undertones.

(In order from L to R: Naked 2, Faint, and Crave)

This sells for $27 wherever Urban Decay is sold. Personally, I think this can seriously come in handy to anyone who wears eyeshadow, and this is coming from a girl who loves all those shimmery and glittery colors in the other palettes. Also, if you don't want to spend the $52 required for the other palettes, this one is a great one to consider because at the end of the day it's just a natural looking eye.

Grade: 95% (A)
Pigmentation: 5/5
Wear Time: 5/5
Ease of Use: 5/5
Overall Quality: 4/5
Score: 19/20

Be Confident,
Molly





No comments:

Post a Comment